Insight Analyst, International Federation of the Phonographic Industries (IFPI) – Feb. 2019-Present
- I analyse market-level changes in the area of music piracy and music consumption, drawing on data from a range of online data providers and data supplied by member groups. I help to improve the organisation’s knowledge of different piracy technologies and how and where they are being used to illegally acquire recorded music.
- I prepare quarterly reports for numerous IFPI national groups on piracy trends, offering high-level analysis of market trends and in-depth analysis of specific piracy technologies and websites. I also provide ad-hoc analysis in response to the needs of internal stakeholders, such as helping to assess the impact of legal interventions.
- I am responsible for managing and aggregating data received from IFPI national groups around the world and ensuring accuracy of the statistics.
Research Analyst, Universal Music Group, London, UK – Aug. 2017-Jan. 2018
- Working in the Digital Partnerships team, I produced routine performance reports and ad-hoc research into audience behaviour on music streaming services, such as Spotify and Apple Music. I communicated findings in a written and verbal form to senior executives across the business.
- This role developed my analytical skills and familiarity handling large volumes of confidential quantitative data about music consumption behaviour using a variety of tools including SQL, Google BigQuery, Microsoft Excel, Tableau, and Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube’s analytics platforms.
- I collaborated with a various internal stakeholders on ad-hoc research projects. I liaised with streaming managers to identify opportunities to help optimise the performance of the catalogue, and I worked with other data analysts situated in other teams on knowledge sharing projects.
PhD Web Science, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK – 2019
- Thesis title: ‘Taste in the Digital Age: Music Streaming Services and the Performance of Class Distinction’ Supervised by Prof. Susan Halford, Dr. Brian J. Hracs and Dr. Nicholas Gibbins.
MSc Web Science, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK – 2015
- Selected modules: Web Architecture, Semantic Web Technologies, Science of Social Networks, Quantitative Methods, Qualitative Methods for Assessing Technology.
BA Music, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK – 2014
- Winner of the 2014 Edward Wood Memorial Prize for Best Music Student
I have training and/or experience using a range of qualitative data collection methods, including semi-structured interviews, focus groups, and participant observation, as well as different approaches for analysing qualitative data, including thematic and narrative-analysis techniques. I have experience incorporating visual and ambulatory techniques into data collection, and experience conducting elite interviews.
I have experience manipulating and analysing large volumes of quantitative data using various platforms and packages, including Microsoft Excel, MicroStrategy and Tableau. I am able to write SQL queries involving table joins, nested queries, and aggregate functions, and manipulate data on Excel using pivot tables, VLOOKUP functions, and VBA. I have Master’s degree-level training in basic statistical methods.
Written & Verbal Communication
I have extensive report-making experience involving the presentation of data and analysis in written, visual and tabulated form. I am comfortable verbally communicating and analysis to a range of expert and non-expert audiences, including senior managers. As a researcher, I have presented my research at academic and industry conferences, and I have published my research in leading social science journals.
- Learning Support Assistant, RNIB College, Loughborough, UK – Jan. 2019-Feb. 2019
- Learning Support Volunteer, Southampton City College, Southampton, UK – Apr. 2017-Present
- Event Manager, Pint of Science Festival, Southampton, UK – Feb. 2017-Jun. 2017
- Digital Makers Assistant, Southampton Central Library, UK – Jan. 2017
- PGR Student Representative, University of Southampton – Jan. 2017-Jun. 2017
- Fundraiser, The Rainbow Project, Southampton, Sep. 2011-Jun. 2014
- International Musicians Seminar Volunteer Programme, Mar. 2013
- Cheltenham Jazz Festival Volunteer Programme, May 2013
- Music Society President, University of Southampton, Jan. 2011- Jan. 2012