Insight Analyst, International Federation of the Phonographic Industries, London, UK
- I analysed market-level changes in the area of music piracy and music consumption, drawing on data from a range of online data providers and data supplied by member groups. I helped to improve the organisation’s knowledge of different piracy technologies and how and where they are being used to illegally acquire recorded music.
- I prepared quarterly reports for numerous IFPI national groups on piracy trends, offering high-level analysis of market trends and in-depth analysis of specific piracy technologies and websites. I also provided ad-hoc analysis in response to the needs of internal stakeholders, such as helping to assess the impact of legal interventions.
- I was responsible for managing and aggregating data received from IFPI national groups around the world and ensuring accuracy of the statistics.
Data Analyst, Universal Music UK, London, UK
- Working in the Digital Partnerships team, I produced routine performance reports and ad-hoc research into audience behaviour on music streaming services, such as Spotify and Apple Music. I communicated findings in a written and verbal form to senior executives across the business.
- This role developed my analytical skills and familiarity handling large volumes of confidential quantitative data about music consumption behaviour using a variety of tools including SQL, Google BigQuery, Microsoft Excel, Tableau, and Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube’s analytics platforms.
- I collaborated with a various internal stakeholders on ad-hoc research projects. I liaised with streaming managers to identify opportunities to help optimise the performance of the catalogue, and I worked with other data analysts situated in other teams on knowledge sharing projects.
2014-2019 PhD Web Science, University of Southampton, UK
Thesis title: ‘Taste in the Platform Age: Music Streaming Services and the Performance of Class Distinction.’
2014-2015 MSc Web Science, University of Southampton, UK
Selected modules: Selected modules: Web Architecture, Semantic Web Technologies, Science of Social Networks, Quantitative Methods, Qualitative Methods for Assessing Technology.
2011-2014 BA Music, University of Southampton, UK
Winner of the 2014 Edward Wood Memorial Prize for Best Music Student.
Qualitative Research Methods
I have training and/or experience using a range of qualitative data collection methods, including semi-structured interviews, focus groups, and participant observation, as well as different approaches for analysing qualitative data, including thematic and narrative-analysis techniques. I have experience incorporating visual and ambulatory techniques into data collection, and experience conducting elite interviews.
I have experience manipulating and analysing large volumes of quantitative data using various platforms and packages, including Microsoft Excel, MicroStrategy and Tableau. I am able to write SQL queries involving table joins, nested queries, and aggregate functions, and manipulate data on Excel using pivot tables, VLOOKUP functions, and VBA. I have Master’s degree-level training in basic statistical methods.
Written and Verbal Communication
I have extensive report-making experience involving the presentation of data and analysis in written, visual and tabulated form. I am comfortable verbally communicating and analysis to a range of expert and non-expert audiences, including senior managers. As a researcher, I have presented my research at academic and industry conferences, and I have published my research in leading social science journals.